Battery Management System
Battery management systems (BMSs) are used to monitor and protect a rechargeable battery cell or battery pack and are often used in harsh and noisy environments – from electric vehicles to industrial equipment. Safety and prevention of catastrophic failure is a primary concern in the design of BMS. Therefore, it is important for timing solutions used in BMSs to be robust and noise resistant.
SiTime MEMS timing products are built to operate reliably in extreme conditions, in high-current environments and over wide temperature ranges. Our timing solutions are both resilient to electromagnetic interference and have features to reduce system EMI.
BMS Block Diagram
MEMS Timing Solutions for BMS
|Product||Frequency||Key Features||Key Values|
|SiT8021 Low-Power Oscillator||1 to 26 MHz||1.5 x 0.8 mm package||
|SiT9025 Spread Spectrum Oscillator||1 to 110 MHz||-55ºC to 125ºC operating temperature||
What is a Battery Management System (BMS)?
A battery management system (BMS) is an electronic system that manages a rechargeable battery cell or battery pack and monitors its health. The primary function of a BMS to:
- Protect the battery from operating outside its safe operating zone
- Monitor the voltage, current, and temp during operation
- Manage the SoC (State of Charge) and other variables during charging
- Control its environment (temp, pressure)
- Report these parameters to the central monitoring unit
Regardless of battery type (pouch or prismatic) or chemistry, a BMS is necessary to avoid catastrophic failure.
BMSs are offered in multiple topologies and sizes depending on use case.
- Centralized: Single controller for multiple batteries. This is economical but causes increased weight and cost due to wiring
- Distributed: A BMS for each cell. This is most expensive but easiest to install
- Modular: A few controllers for a finite number of cells
BMS configurations are highly dependent on application and are different for mobile and stand-alone applications.
- A BMS for EVs, industrial/military drones is a subsystem and tightly integrated to charging system, thermal and the communication sub-systems
- A BMS for an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) or Industrial tools is standalone
- Electric vehicles
- E-Bikes, E-Scooters
- Industrial / military drones
- Industrial tools (mowers, blowers)
- Uninterrupted power supply (UPS)
- Energy storage system (ESS)
- Autonomous vehicles for warehouse robotics, mining, underwater, etc.)
See full list of applications notes and resources for Industrial applications