Silicon MEMS Timing Solutions are Smallest, Thinnest, Shock and Vibration Proof
SUNNYVALE, Calif. – April 11, 2011 – SiTime Corporation, the leader in MEMS-based silicon timing solutions, today announced the availability of a complete portfolio of MEMS oscillators for Tablet PCs and E-Book Readers. These solutions, all of which are based on SiTime’s SiT8003 Low Power MEMS Oscillator platform, provide clocking for every major functional block in the Tablet PC and E-Book Reader. The SiT8003 is 30% thinner than quartz and offers 10 times better robustness to shock and vibration, improving the aesthetics and lifespan of the Tablet PC and E-book Readers.
“Tablet PCs and E-Book Readers are one of the fastest growing segments in the electronics industry and are expected to ship over 200 Million units by 2014. SiTime’s low-power, programmable MEMS oscillators already provide the timing reference for many Tablet PCs and E-Book Readers,” said Piyush Sevalia, SiTime’s vice president of marketing. “Exciting, high-volume applications such as Tablet PCs have rapidly adopted SiTime’s Silicon MEMS timing solutions over legacy quartz products, as our solutions offer the best size and robustness, unprecedented flexibility, industry-leading 3-5 week lead times and the lowest cost of ownership.”
SiTime’s SiT8003 low-power programmable MEMS oscillator can be configured to drive many different devices within a Tablet PC and E-Book Reader. Some common configurations are highlighted below:
- SiT8003AC-12-18S-26.00000 for the Applications Processor and USB2.0 transceiver
- SiT8003AC-12-33S-14.31800 for the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) chip
- SiT8003AC-12-33S-22.57920 for the HDMI SOC
- SiT8003AC-12-33S-24.57600 for the audio CODECs
- SiT8003AC-12-33S-27.00000 for the camera module
The SiT8003 offers the best combination of low power, small size and high performance for Tablet PC and E-Book Reader designs. The device consumes 3.5mA in active mode and less than 5µA in standby mode, offers ±25PPM frequency stability over -20ºC to 70ºC operating temperature and is available in a tiny, 2.5x2.0mm package.
SiTime’s SiT8003 offers configurable rise and fall times at no additional cost. By controlling the rise and fall times of the various clocks within the system, the designer reduces system EMI and can meet environmental compliance more easily, cost-effectively and without any design changes.
Additional features and benefits of the SiT8003 include:
- Any frequency between 1 and 110 MHz with 5 decimal places of accuracy. A customized clock frequency can be used for increased performance (over-clocking) or cheaper testability
- Configurable operating voltage, 1.8, 2.5, 2.8 or 3.3V.
- Industrial (-40 to +85 °C) and extended commercial (-20 to +70 °C) temperature range
- 4 industry-standard packages, enabling replacement of quartz oscillators with no design changes.
- The world’s shortest lead times – samples shipments in 24-48 hours and production lead times of 3-5 weeks.
The devices are available in production now, and pricing is available upon request.
SiTime Corporation, an analog semiconductor company, offers MEMS-based silicon timing solutions that replace legacy quartz products. With 85% market share and over 45 million devices shipped, SiTime is driving the $5 Billion timing market’s transition to 100% silicon-based timing.
SiTime’s configurable solutions enable customers to differentiate their products with higher performance, reduced size and better reliability. The rich feature set and flexibility of our solutions allows customers to consolidate their supply-chain, reducing cost of ownership and time to market. By using standard semiconductor processes and high volume plastic packaging, SiTime offers the best availability and shortest lead times in the industry.
Top-tier manufacturers are experiencing these benefits and recognize SiTime as The Smart Timing Choice™.