Thinnest Profile, Fastest Start-up and Programmability
Offer Perfect Combination for Portable Electronics
SUNNYVALE, Calif. – January 26, 2009 – SiTime Corporation, the leader in MEMS-based silicon timing solutions, today introduced a new family of programmable oscillators that are designed to extend battery life in portable and consumer electronics by delivering the industry’s lowest power consumption and fastest start-up time. These devices are highly programmable – with frequencies, voltages and tolerances that can be configured easily – enabling shipment of customized samples in 24 hours and production quantities in two weeks. Additionally, the oscillator packages have standard footprints and can be used as drop-in replacements for quartz devices.
“SiTime has sparked a major shift in the timing market by replacing decades-old quartz crystal technology with programmable, MEMS-based semiconductor products,” said Rajesh Vashist, SiTime’s CEO. “Over the past year, we have made great strides in expanding our product portfolio. We now offer a comprehensive suite of programmable oscillators that can replace fixed-frequency quartz devices. For systems that require more than one clock, we offer innovative, multi-PLL, programmable clock generators that eliminate external quartz. In addition, we offer tiny, robust MEMS resonators that enable systems to integrate all clocking functions inside a package.”
The first three solutions in this product family include:
- SiT8003 – a low power programmable oscillator;
- SiT8003XT – the world’s thinnest programmable oscillator at 0.25mm; and
- SiT8033 – a two-frequency, low power programmable oscillator.
The three new oscillators feature low power consumption in active and standby modes, typically less than 3.5mA and 10uA, respectively, and offer a very fast start-up time of less than 3ms. To enable customization, the devices can be programmed to operate at 1.8V, 2.5V, 2.8V or 3.3V, and at frequencies from 1 MHz to 110 MHz. These low power oscillators are the most flexible in the industry, allowing them to be used in a wide range of microprocessor, microcontroller and serial I/O applications.
SiTime’s low power programmable oscillators offer unique features that simplify system design:
- The SiT8003 is available in standard four-pad package footprints of 2.5 x 2.0mm, 3.2 x 2.5mm, 5.0 x 3.2mm and 7.0 x 5.0mm. Designers can reduce the number of suppliers and parts on their Approved Vendor List (AVL) by replacing multiple fixed-frequency oscillators with the SiT8003. The device also offers frequency tolerance of ±25 PPM, allowing more timing margin for high performance applications such as video.
- The SiT8003XT offers the world’s thinnest package at 0.25mm, making it ideal for smart cards, high capacity SIM cards and smaller, thinner consumer electronics.
- The SiT8033 enables the user to select one of two related frequencies from the same device. With this unique feature, the same device can be used in different applications, which simplifies procurement and reduces inventory cost.
“Portable electronics continues to proliferate and needs small, thin timing devices that consume very little power,” Vashist added. “SiTime’s new low power programmable oscillators, based on our patented MEMS FirstTM technology, are a perfect fit for such portable applications and offer benefits that are not possible with quartz solutions.”
The SiT8003, SiT8003XT and SiT8033 will be available for sampling in mid-February. Production quantities will be available in late March.
SiTime Corporation develops MEMS-based silicon timing solutions. SiTime addresses the $5B timing market with leadership products that are the smallest, thinnest, most robust, reliable, configurable, and offer the shortest lead times. The company’s solutions are the heartbeat of cutting-edge electronic products, such as fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) equipment, computing devices, graphics cards, disk drives, mobile phones and high capacity SIM cards. Headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif., SiTime is privately owned and backed by leading venture capital firms. For more information, please visit www.sitime.com.